Saturday, January 06, 2007

Small Adventure with Durians

There is a kind of fruit that is native to Southeast Asia, called a "durian." I think locals get a huge kick out of it, because it seems to me that it is just one big running, practical joke that they like to play on foreigners. It has a very, very strong smell, and is an acquired taste (see this link to Wikipedia, especially the 'Flavour and Odour' section). I have yet to actually taste the real fruit, but today I opted for a durian-flavored product so I could get a preview of the real thing.

This afternoon I wandered around the bay area of the city just to see what was there. During my little jaunt, I decided to stop at one of the little street ice cream vendors (that are practically everywhere, thank goodness - good and cheap ice cream!). I got brave today and asked for the durian flavor; the vendor got a big smile on his face and said "Have you eaten durian before?" and I responded that I hadn't. His smile got even bigger. I walked away happily with my ice cream (after all, it was such a hot day), noticing that even the ice cream had a smell, and knowing that I just made that man's day. I thought about staying there and trying it in front of him, to prove that I had a pretty good idea of what I was getting myself into, but I decided to let him have his laugh for the day. I'm sure he imagined this unknowing little white girl taking a bite, making a disgusted face, and finding the nearest trash can.

I have to say, it was interesting; I think I'd like to try the real thing, despite the fact that every time I burped for the next few hours I tasted durian. And since the smell is very distinct and strong (and to many people, stinky), durians are not allowed on buses or the subway. They even have signs posted saying so - "No food/drink; No flammable materials; No smoking; No durians." Later on the bus home I smelled it again and got really concerned that maybe I had spilled ice cream on myself somewhere and didn't notice; I deduced later that someone had a durian on the bus. I wanted to find that person and say "I think everyone knows...good try, pal."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home