Monday, January 15, 2007

It's a boy! Oh, wait...it's a girl.

Once again, today, I was assumed to be a boy based on my name. Thanks, Mom and Dad.

;)

But really, I was meeting up with a Singaporean friend of a friend from home, with whom I had emailed back and forth. Well, I knew that she was a girl, but I suppose I gave no indicators. So when I found her this afternoon and introduced myself she was like "Oh! You're Jordan? Oh, sorryyyy! I was expecting a boy!" She apologized a few more times, but I told her really it was no big deal, it happens all the time. Although, I usually do think ahead and put a little PS on emails when I am about to meet someone (like other exchange students - don't worry guys, I'm not doing any internet dating over here) to let them know to look for a girl. Sometimes, I just come right and out say "PS - I'm a girl" and other times I say "By the way, I'll be wearing a blue shirt and a khaki skirt." I have to admit, though, that it is a fun game to play, to see people's reactions when they meet me after having only a few email correspondences in which I don't say either way and just let them assume.


Anyways, I digress. I ate rambutan today - translation "hairy fruit" (I've learned in my Malay class that "hair" is "rambut") - at my new friend's house. Her parents had me over for dinner and it was quite enjoyable. I am consistently finding Singaporeans to be very, very hospitable. In any case, I have a new-found fruity friend - those little rambutans are quite tasty! I think I will have to buy some for myself. Oh, and just an FYI: you folks probably won't recognize me when I get back. I think I will gain 25 kg here (hah hah hah..I'm learning to do things the metric way) - the food is just so good and cheap!

2 Comments:

At 1/15/2007 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy the fact that you link your entries to wikipedia
-Bege

 
At 1/15/2007 6:56 PM, Blogger Jordan said...

I like to inform the people. You know, provide an education of sorts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home