Sunday, February 25, 2007

After 5 Days in Cambodia...

...my hair is a shade lighter and the Chaco tan is back with a vengeance. I'm also suffering from a great need of clean clothes and a craving for Cambodian spring rolls.

My pre-departure fascination with Cambodia still persists (sorry, Mom!) - although the country has suffered A LOT, and it definitely shows, I found it to be extremely intriguing. Phnom Penh is quite a shock, no matter what your expectations are, and the historical sites in the capital are rather chilling (the former Khmer Rouge prison is now a museum with some rooms essentially untouched since the fall of the Khmer Rouge regime in 1979). The temples of Angkor (the ancient capital of the Khmer Empire) were absolutely amazing; in fact, I ran out of room on my camera when we still had a full day left (thank goodness Anna had more room on her camera).

There's so much I could say about the country and the people - but I think for now it will suffice to say that it was by far a very educational adventure. I recommend going to Cambodia, particularly to Siem Reap to see all the temples, and if you're brave, to Phnom Penh (it is not for the faint of heart).

[I feel the need to put a disclaimer: Cambodians avidly welcome the business tourism brings in and really do not want anything to damage the steady flow of visitors, so that combined with how cautious Anna and I are made our trip very safe!!!]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home