Chinese New Year : Part 1
Tonight I kicked off CNY weekend with a potluck dinner with the SMU Climb Team. Lots of fun! The evening included not only the food, but also a game of Taboo (boy against girls, of course). Whenever I play Taboo with a new group of people, inwardly I always get nervous; I mean, after you've played on a team with your sister and all you have to say is "Do you remember that time, at that place..." it's nerve-racking to have to actually do some thinking. In any case, my turn came up, and I did just fine. In fact, we got 5 points off my turn. Not too shabby.
I also got some fun videos of some (failed) card tricks by one of my friends. I've watched them a few times already and it's just as funny now as when it was happening. If anyone is looking for entertainment for a party or something, let me know. I have a friend that does amazing card tricks (hah hah hah).
What else? OH! I got to see one of the CNY traditions that a lot of people told me about. Essentially you have this large plate of different foods and everyone sticks their chopsticks in and tosses the food in order to mix it all up. Except when you toss it, you're supposed to say some things in Chinese to wish for prosperity (good grades in school, success at work, etc) and the aim is to go high - the higher you go the more likely it is that what you're saying will come true. Later on, one of my friends commented that we were supposed to say stuff, but no one did (everyone just got so into the tossing and making a mess) because they don't speak good Chinese (like I would ever know). Anyways, it was neat to see (ok, and do), and good to eat when the tossing was done.
Happy Chinese New Year!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!

1 Comments:
so was that like, being back at S&M for you?
-Bege(hey, i remembered this time!)
Post a Comment
<< Home