Adventurous Eating
I've probably mentioned this before, but I've made a commitment to constantly try new foods because the variety here is overwhelming. So, I've gotten into the habit of asking my new friends to pick things out for me or to tell me what they might recommend. I do this because I don't know what a lot of things are and I don't want to get stuck in a pattern of eating the same thing all the time. I think it amuses people, although a few have been hesitant - "you really want me to pick something out?" - but I tell them there are no stipulations; I have no allergies, I'll eat just about anything, and I just don't know what things are and I want to learn. Secretly I'm building up courage to get something from one of the "pig organ" stalls (meals that include some pig organ as the meat) or maybe even chicken foot (I'm still not so sure about this one - I've seen someone else eat one...and yeah...). So during our lunch break in democracy class, I went to a food court across the street with some fellow classmates, and I got one of the guys to pick out something. He essentially ordered the same thing for both of us - I forget the exact name, but it included "mince meat" and "noodle". I honestly didn't know what mince meat was until today. I think it had liver in it. Oh well, I ate it, all the while thinking "I'm not entirely sure what I just put in my mouth." I also was commended on my chopstick use.
At dinner, I ate with another exchange student - Janet from Holland (we're becoming quite good pals). I had fried cuttlefish - it was quite delicious. I think I've had it before, but I honestly couldn't tell you when or where. I think I'm getting quite used to all the seafood and I'm slowly building up to spicy foods.

2 Comments:
Hey Jordan! I just wanted to let you know that I really like reading your blog! :) Singapore sounds amazing and it seems like you're having a great time!
I ate chicken feet when I was in China this summer...they weren't particularly delicious, but not truly disgusting either. It was odd...there's not a lot of meat on them. I say go for it! The best thing about coming back from China was getting to tell people about all the weird food I ate! That one little bite will be worth it when you can say "HEY! I've eaten chicken feet! Don't mess with me." Haha.
i personally would stay away from feet. they are disgusting to me. i'm just waiting for you to blog about one day when someone orders you like something totally gross and you have to eat it b/c you're trying new things. i would do that to you, order dog or cat or something, just to watch you eat it and then go "HA! you just ate rover!"
Post a Comment
<< Home